Tom Janca, Physical Therapist
Having been born in the Chiagoland area back in 1967, I vowed from a very early age to grow up and move away to a “big City” area of the country without sub-zero freezing weather and ice storms in the winter. So how did I end up moving to the little hamlet of Arnot, PA (pop. 350) and working in Montoursville? Earning my BS degree in Exercise Science at Southern Illinois University seemed to be my ticket to independence.
Unfortunately, I found personal fitness training less fulfilling than I thought it would be. Years later, after I completed prerequisite coursework in the mid-west, I moved to Philadelphia to attend Arcadia University and earn Master’s degree in physical therapy by 2000. Wouldn’t you know it…my first physical therapy job offer was in a little town called Wellsboro, PA. From Chicago to…little town Wellsboro? Since I was a “big city kind of guy”, small town charm didn’t seem too charming. But I took the job anyway (determined to move back to a big city the next year).
As fate would have it, two months after moving to Wellsboro, I met my “wife to be” in November 2000. We married in November 2001 and moved to Arnot, PA in 2003. Since then we’ve had three kids – Joshua, Abigail, and Josiah. In time, I learned that many of the “perks” of city life (crowded streets, pollution, traffic congestion and high taxes) weren’t as attractive as hunting, hiking, trees, wide-open spaces, and wildlife. We still reside in Arnot but now work at Lycoming Physical Therapy in Montoursville and very much appreciate rural life and small town charm.
- MSPT, Arcadia University 2000
- “A Symposium of Strategies for Management of Low Back Pain” Sponsored by Arcadia Univ. Therapy Alumni Assoc and PT Dept. 3/11/00.
- “Orthopedics of the Aging Adult” (acute to long term care) 10/5/2001-10/6/2001.
- “Management of Lumbar Spine Dysfunction” (home study course) APTA 1/03.
- “Functional Rehabilitation of the Cervical Spine” (Sandy Burkhart) 5/04.
- “S1 Introduction to Spinal Evaluation and Manipulation” (Univ. St. Augustine) 8/04.
- “Comprehensive Treatment of the Shoulder” Great Lakes Seminars 1/06.
- “E1 Extremity Evaluation and Treatment” (Univ. St. Augustine) 2/06.
- “MT2–Basic Spinal” Maitland/Australian Physiotherapy Seminars 3/06.
- “S3 Cervical Spine” (Univ. St. Augustine) 7/06.
- “When the Foot Hits the Ground” American Physical Rehab Network (Philadelphia, PA) 3/2/07-3/4/07.
- “ERGO Science–Physical Work Performance Evaluation” 8/07.
- “Take the Next Step” American Physical Rehab Network (Philadelphia, PA) 3/7/08-3/9/08.
- Advanced Pain Assessment, Medical Screening and Biomechanical Differential Diagnosis for PT’s (Sports Med of Atlanta) Mansfield, PA 10/25/08-10/26/08.
- “S2 Advanced Evaluation and Manipulation of the Thoracic and Lumbar Spine and Pelvis” Scranton, PA, 12/19/08-12/21/08.
- “Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment; McKenzie A Lumbar Spine” with Dana Greene. Harrisburg, PA. 1/22/09-1/25/09.
- “Demystifying the Autistic Experience” Seminar by William Stillman Wellsboro, PA, 4/2009.
- “Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment; McKenzie B Cervical and Thoracic Spine” with Greg Silva. Mechanicsburg, PA, 9/11/09-9/13/09.
- Webinar: “Lumbar Stabilization Using Evidence to Link Land and Pool; Exercise” Beth Scalone PT DPT OCS, 11/19/2009.
- “Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment; McKenzie C Advanced Problem Solving” with Beata Smeala. Mechanicsburg, PA, 3./12/2010-3/14/2010.
- “DIR/FLOORTIME: Developmental relational Treatment of Autism and Sensory Processing Disorder” (Harrisburg).Esther B. Hess PhD 6/4/2010.
- “TMJ Diagnosis and treatment” Seminar by John Foster, Pennsylvania Physical Therapy Association 9/15/2010
- “Clinical Biomechanics and Manual Therapy For All Practice Environments: Lower Extremity and Lumbar Spine” by SportsMedicine of Atlanta, Inc. Robert DuVall PT SHS, MMSc, ATC, OCS, SCS, FAAOMPT, DAC, CSCS 11/13/2010-11/14/2010.
- “Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment; McKenzie D Advanced Problem Solving” with Mark Miller. Syracuse, NY, 3/3/2011- 3/6/2011
- “The McKenzie Case Manager” online course in the McKenzie Method of Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy 9/23/2011.
- McKenzie Certification Examination for Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment. October 1, 2011. Cleveland, Ohio.
- “Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment; McKenzie E, MDT of Advanced Extremities” with Gary Dykes Somerville, NJ, 2/11/2012, 2/12/2012.